Friday, September 9, 2011

This Too Shall Pass

Once upon a time, there was a King who called upon all of his wise men and asked them a very important question, “Is there a mantra or suggestion which works in every situation, in every circumstance, in every place and in every time? In every joy, every sorrow, every defeat and every victory? One answer for all questions? Tell me, is there such a mantra?”

All the wise men were puzzled by the king’s questionm, however they thought and thought still. After a lengthy discussion and a couple of days, an old man, one of the wisemen, suggested something which appealed to all of them. Then they returned to the King and handed the king a paper with four words written on it. These four words would ground the King in his triumphs and lift the King during his darkest hours.
The four words were: This too shall pass.
As the king read the words, he became enlightened.
Life surely comes with a lot of high and low times. Good health, new relationships, being promoted, materials things, a salary increase, a new baby, a new friend and so on were some of the high times. Whilst, losing a job, gaining an enemy, losing a friend, getting sick, financial difficulties, losses and even death comprises the low times. Surprisingly most people find it hard to let go a little of each in the course of their daily living.
We often go through a roller coaster ride through life and our levels of happiness are directly proportional to the situation at the moment, including our moods. We usually celebrate the high times and sulk on the low times. In this way of acting it out, I am assuming that the end result is to experience more of the high times than the low times.
I would like to take a different look at it, I will see it not as the better or the worst but just different. In that way it would be more fulfilling and, what's the word, empowering.
I must realize that the high and low times are all part of our existence, and these experiences are infinitely inspiring and right. Regardless where I am at my roller coaster ride, the lessons to be learned and the lives to be touched are all worth the spin.
And the secret must be to not let my feelings, emotions or degrees of happiness be defined by the issues and situation at the moment for these all will pass. I must know that the true power comes from inside of me, it does not matter what are the situations surrounding me. I must level my happiness on the permanent rather than the superficial, that the motions of my moods are insignificant and the level of my happiness is quite up there.
When life hits hard, I will just tell myself that this too shall pass. On the other hand, when I get lucky, I will also remind myself that this too shall hit the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment