Sunday, December 20, 2009

Were The World Mine


Were the world mine (Shakespeare's A Midsummer Nights Dream), this line from the famous playright echoes in my mind. A good title for a story I say.

It is also the title of the latest gay-themed movie I saw a few days ago, in which Shakespeare's masterpiece of a play was used as a backdrop for a simple love story.

Shallow that I am, I often fall for feel-good movies, especially romantic stories. Well, this movie for me is a good movie, with all it's dancing and singing, I got hooked on my seat and didn't stood up even to take a pee. I was all smiles at many scenes and I am memorizing the lyrics of the songs.

Although the usual young gay guy, being bullied at school, had a big crush on the rugby varsity jock, had a girl bestfriend and wishes to fall in love.

His wish turned out to be just an audition away he joined the school play. A staging of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Nights Dream. The Literature teacher saw the potential and gave a book containing the lines and a recipe for a "love juice" in which the hapless guy concocted himself and voila! He makes most of his townsfolk gay by spraying them with it and make them fall in love with the same sex. Will he do it with his bigtime crush? Or will he let love takes its course?

The movie is fun and light, worth watching really. It leaves me lonely though at the end, for I felt I too deserve to be in love but it seemed love is so far away.

As Shakespeare says "O I am out of breath in this fond chase!
The more my prayer, the lesser is my grace."

Oh well.

Here's one of the scenes where the song Were The World Mine was sang.

No comments:

Post a Comment