Warning:

This blog contains opinions, experiences, thoughts and observations of the author from his day to day living.
It is subject to comments, criticisms and corrections, and all will be dealt with constructively and do leave your comments I would love to hear from you.
There is no intention to offend, discriminate nor degrade anybody or anything for that matter, only shared feelings, emotions and angsts at the moment.
Welcome to my world.







Sunday, August 1, 2010

I Could Have Given In

"Salaam", a voice coming from behind me.
I look back and see a handsome fellow, tall, Arabic, hawk-nosed, curly black hair.
"Malaykum-salaam" I said back.
"Wein enta ro?" he asked.
"Shukol." I replied.
"Esh shukol." and then it dawned on me, why is he asking me.
He's a total stranger, a local, about his early twenties and I shouldn't be talking to him. Stories of set-ups and Mutawas are very much on the rise these days.
But he is persistent and although a bit cocky, he seemed to be friendly, so I go along and at this point he is walking beside me, with me. I thought as long as we're moving, I can always speed up and cross the street to the other side.
"Maktub bas."
"Wein?"
"Hmm gareeb."
My curiosity gets the better of me and with a bit of a caution, I asked. "Esh ebka, sadiq?""Mafi, mumken enta ebka sadiq?" he said.
"Liesh? Enta kuwayes?"
"Aiwa, ana kuwayes, miya-miya." and he smiled, I felt slightly weak in the knees.
"Akid?" I smiled back.
"Aiwa, akid. Mumken shoop baden? Shukol mita kalas?"
"Baden belel, saa-saba."
Such conversation would always lead to exchange of numbers and later calls, which would eventually lead to "your guess is as good as mine."
I could have given in.
"Mumken shoop enta, mumken mafi." and winking at him, "Maasalam!"I left him on the other side of the street still looking at me as I head towards the intersection. I could not forget the look on his face, a look of disappointment, but I just smiled back and wave a bit.
Oh, well. (Sigh)

2 comments: