Sunday, November 29, 2009

Winter Rain


One of those rare moments in Saudi Arabia, specifically in the Shemaisy Area where I live, when it rains. I woke up yesterday to a feeling of being back home in the Philippines. Having two windows in my room, I would always know whether it was sunny or cloudy outside. But this time the sky was a bit darker than usual, it was already 10:30 AM. Then I heard wee small sounds of pitter-patter and a smell of fresh morning. I looked out my window facing the street below and the street were wet, sounds of cars on wet pavements, and the air is colder than before and it was raining.

Reminds me so much of home, I love it when it rains, not the "Ondoy" kind that is, just drizzles, and staying home. Just imagine waking up on a rainy day to the smell of cooked "sopas (tube pasta soup)", creamy, tasty and hot! Or to the taste of hot "champorado (chocolate porridge)" together with fried "tuyo (dried fish)."

Staying home the whole day in bed, just reading, watching tv or simply sound tripping.


I remembered playing with my nephews and nieces, conversing with my sibings while Mama is cooking another favorite "Nilagang Buto-Buto with Chinese Bola-Bola and Herbs!

When I was younger, I would always come out and play in the rain with my childhood friends. We would make very small boats from popsicle sticks and play race on the sidewalk canal flowing with rain water. Shower under the falling water from roof gutters, play tag or rode our bikes amidst the slippery streets and mud or catch small fishes, tadpoles and small frogs from nearby ponds!

Those were the days.


How certain moments, food and smell could trigger feelings and memories is truly nostalgic, nevertheless, it is always a blessing knowing that these things were a part of us, we never forget those wonderful feelings and memories. It keeps you grounded, it makes you smile thinking that wherever you are, home is always where the heart is.

No comments:

Post a Comment