Saturday, May 2, 2009

Gratitude


Gratitude is a positive emotion or attitude in acknowledgment of a benefit that one has received or will receive. (Defined by Wikipedia.)
As Oprah relates in one of her episodes, listing down things we are grateful for everyday brings more positive energy and consequently leads to a better outlook in life.
There are so many things we should be grateful for, most of them too menial to even notice due to the fact that we surround ourselves with too much distraction, burying ourselves with work that never really runs out, too concerned on what we want or what we want to have.
No, I am not saying that these things don’t matter, in all honesty these are ALSO important things we need to attend to, BUT, like what we always say, the best things in life are free.
Isn’t it a fact that good things comes when we are positive in our outlook in life? Even the Universe conspires to bring more to be grateful for and it never stops as long as we consciously look into the never ending supply of good things that come our way.
Haven’t you noticed the warm sun touching your face in the morning? The sound of the birds singing? How about the house you slept in last night? The hearty breakfast you had? The job that sustains you?
Have you seen your niece or nephew smiled at you? Your mother saying how do you do?
Let’s go back to the basics, the fact that you woke up after a good night sleep? Going to the bathroom and facing the mirror, have you been grateful that you’re normal and nothing is wrong with you?
These things, these simple things we already should be grateful.
Some people need more than these to be grateful, like a big house, lots of money and fame. Others, just having to eat normally three times everyday and a cozy little house to live in is enough.
People are strange sometimes in things they are grateful with. We go to extremes when it comes to what will make us happy. I say, I would choose a simple life in a heart beat, I am grateful and lucky already in my own right. I don’t need to brag or to pretend as people can see who you really are from the things you have and the things you do.
I am already grateful in more ways than one and some of which are:
I am healthy and alive.
I am loved by my brothers and sisters.
I am loved by my mother.
I am loved by my nephews and nieces.
I have but a few and great friends who cared for me.
I get by day by day.
I am beautiful.
I am me.

1 comment:

  1. I hope I could imbibe your being grateful! I'm bogged down by too much negativity nowadays. Thank you for this positive post.

    ReplyDelete